I know it’s Mother’s Day and I should probably write a blog about it but this week I’ve been thinking a lot about myths and legends so I thought I’d write about that instead. Strange really because I’m not the sort of person who is a fan of things like Lord of the Rings. Even as a child I didn’t take to stories like the Elves and the Shoemaker. And don’t mention goblins – they make me run cold.
But last Saturday I was invited to the Southbank Centre’s Women of the World Festival to be part of a panel discussing the subject of ‘Fertility Myths’ (click here to watch it online). I was joined by a group of amazing women – Jody Day, founder of Gateway Women, Harjit Sarang, fertility lawyer, Carmel Dennhy, fertility councillor and Dr Ephia Yasmin, consultant gynaecologist. The debate was chaired beautifully by all round fertility and IVF expert Kate Brian.
So this week, for your reading pleasure (and with added input from the lovely ladies of the facebook group Mindful Muma-to-be who recently shared a hilarious exchange on what each of them had done in their bid to conceive), I’ve come up with my top ten myths in the pursuit of motherhood. Enjoy!
- Give up peas (that’s ok I was never a massive fan of them anyway).
- Start drinking roobois tea (Africa here I come).
- Don’t go to the toilet immediately after sex (just in case they fall out) and lie with your legs in the air (to keep them in).
- Wear orange knickers and hug a tree (allegedly).
- Or bathe in the waters of the Australian Kununurra (Nicole Kidman did).
- Have a vaginal steam. (Really! Click here and see.)
- IVF always works (it doesn’t).
- If you have regular periods in your forties, it means you’re still fertile (ditto)
- Just relax and it will happen (what is this thing called ‘relax’, can you tell me where I buy it?)
- Believe everything you read online (now that the biggest myth of them all).
With the exception of goblins. (She shivers).
… and of course, just as with love – it will happen when you’re not looking for it! Thanks for these. xx
Oh yes it will (won’t!) Jessica x
You are a brilliant speaker and I Iove listening to you. You truly are an inspiration. Thank you for being brave and speaking out. You’re helping me to be brave too. xxx
Thank you Helen. That means so so much. If we’re all brave – the world will start to understand and change ! Jessica x
A thought provoking forum. Lovely to see you speaking (despite what you think you are a great and honest speaker) out on such an important subject. Thank you for the link.
And thank you! Glad you liked it (I don’t dare watch it back as I know I’ll loathe seeing myself!) Jessica x
Give up peas!?!?!? I was told not to eat peas with rice (an Italian recipe) as too high GI but why would give up peas help get pregnant…?
2-3-7-8-9 I heard too.
There are so many more to add but my absolute favourite: “Have such great sex that you’re basically unconscious when you have an orgasm”. And this was before 50 shades!!
Apologies for slow reply, I’ve been crazy busy with work and not unconscious (sadly). Jessica x